Elegant NMR
Register a new account · Login to your account Welcome, Guest

Electronic Datasheet and Parameters, as for June 2017 RSS Feed available

Top   #1

ilgis

Group: Administrators

June 5, 2017 @ 8:22 PM
Hi,

let me share current technical parameters of electronics inside the spectrometer.

We have:

1. two computational units,
1.1. one based on Cyclone 5 has 132 SIMD cores running at 160MHz with one MADD per core, i.e. ca. 40GFlop/s real performance,
1.2. dual Intel Atom 500MHz with 6GFlop/s peak performance that achieve ca. 1GFlop/s (we do not need more), with 4GB/90MB/s NAND and 1GB RAM,

2. clock with 90fs jitter and 2ppb stability on well conditioned temperature range (don\'t forget about liquid cooling!!!),
3. dual 16bit ADC running at 160MHz with 40dB preamplifier, so, we can really see below 1mkV fluctuations on receiving coils.
4. two receiving and four transmitting coils as it is shown at the figure 5 at https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.00237 paper.

Finally the spectrometer cannot operate from standard USB, because it consumes ca 27Watt, so, we are modifying interconnect to 15V/3A + USB.

By plugging to USB, the spectrometer is recognized as USB disk with GUI software and free space for the spectra. You can connect the device to USB without external power supply to work with the setup and read collected spectra, but for the proper operation you need to power it with 15V/3A PSU.

Sincerely,

Ilgis

Top   #2

James_Keeler

Group: Members

August 15, 2017 @ 4:03 AM
Hi Ilgis,
I am a rf enthusiast and would like some more information on your electronics system so I can understand it better. How do you generate your rf signals and amplify them, and what amplifier design do you use? Do you have a transmit receive switch? I see you use a fast ADC to digitize signal, do you amplify the nmr signal before and also filter? What rf parts do you use there? I don\\\\\\\'t see any coax cables in the pictures you took, even to the coil. How could this possibly work?

Also, can you elaborate on magnet design? Seems like you mentioned 1.2 T on the website but says this corresponds to 42 MHz - it\\\\\\\'s actually 51 MHz for 1H. What kind of magnets and arrangement do you use. I understand you do something with parallel transmitting to compensate for the inhomogeneous field, but I\\\\\\\'m confused as to how this works. I didn\\\\\\\'t find an explanation in the papers you cited. How can you do NMR without having a tuned coil? I see the figure in your paper of the key idea, but for me, the nmr coil was always tuned and matched to a frequency so how do you make-do without it?

Finally, it seems like your cost of electronic components is very high to sell your product at $1000. I doubt very much you can make any money on what you said you are including, and would anticipate you losing money on each sold stick. Comments?

Thanks,

James

QUOTE: ilgis, June 5, 2017 @ 8:22 PM (view in context)
Hi,

let me share current technical parameters of electronics inside the spectrometer.

We have:

1. two computational units,
1.1. one based on Cyclone 5 has 132 SIMD cores running at 160MHz with one MADD per core, i.e. ca. 40GFlop/s real performance,
1.2. dual Intel Atom 500MHz with 6GFlop/s peak performance that achieve ca. 1GFlop/s (we do not need more), with 4GB/90MB/s NAND and 1GB RAM,

2. clock with 90fs jitter and 2ppb stability on well conditioned temperature range (don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t forget about liquid cooling!!!),
3. dual 16bit ADC running at 160MHz with 40dB preamplifier, so, we can really see below 1mkV fluctuations on receiving coils.
4. two receiving and four transmitting coils as it is shown at the figure 5 at https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.00237 paper.

Finally the spectrometer cannot operate from standard USB, because it consumes ca 27Watt, so, we are modifying interconnect to 15V/3A + USB.

By plugging to USB, the spectrometer is recognized as USB disk with GUI software and free space for the spectra. You can connect the device to USB without external power supply to work with the setup and read collected spectra, but for the proper operation you need to power it with 15V/3A PSU.

Sincerely,

Ilgis

Tags:

Quick Reply Add Reply New Topic

Users viewing this topic

0 members and 1 guests; 1 in total